[BlueOnyx:24782] OT: severe weather / power at VIRTBIZ

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Thu Feb 18 10:51:08 -05 2021

Hi Fellow BlueOnyxers

As the official host datacenter of all things BlueOnyx, I'm fortunate to
count many of you as customers.  Your support of VIRTBIZ helps us to
continue the support for BlueOnyx. Accordingly, I occasionally like to
update everyone here on our operations.

You might have seen in the news that the US in general and specifically
Texas (where we are located) has been enduring fairly extreme weather.
Extended sub-freezing temperatures with snow and ice are not conditions
with which we are well accustomed or prepared for.      Personally, we
were no longer able to stay in our home as the power was out for the
better part of 2 days, causing our pipes to freeze so we no longer had
operational plumbing.    We've moved (along with the cats) to the
datacenter where things are warm and we have basic necessities such as
sleeping quarters and hot showers.    Many of our staff have not been
able to make it into work because roads have been impassable.

At the same time, we've been taking in new customers who have found
their offices to be without power or are otherwise unable to function so
they have been moving their networks to our facility.   In most cases,
they're coming with servers.   In other cases they're bringing in
desktops and workstations as well so their staff can remote in and work
from home.

I wrote an update to our customers yesterday and will share it with you
here if you're interested.
https://www.virtbiz.com/virtbiz-and-the-weather-power-crisis/

I'm mindful that we're not alone in going through some difficult
times.   I'm thankful for the things that are going right, and, as a bit
of fun, one of our cats is extremely interested in the operations of the
datacenter and has been pacing up and down the rows of racks, stopping
wherever he hears the beep of an alarm. That's helped us to send out
some proactive alerts to customers that may have underlying hardware
issues!    Our other cat is more interested in being a paperweight.

Just thought I would share.   Pardon the interruption.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services