[BlueOnyx:25040] Re: Authenticated smarthost using Postfix

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Jul 26 15:18:01 -05 2021

Hi Colin,

<https://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/mail_systems/postfix_documentation/postconf.5.html#smtp_sasl_auth_enable>
> = yes

That's correct, as we need that to allow users to send email via SMTP-Auth.

> I need to enable authenticated SMTP for our smarthost setting on 5210R
>
> Is it just a matter of adding the following to main.cf:
>
> smtpd_sasl_password_maps
> <https://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/mail_systems/postfix_documentation/postconf.5.html#smtp_sasl_password_maps>
> = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
>
> and creating the password file?

I *think* so, but I haven't yet used that option myself. But from what
I've read at the URL you posted I'm fairly certain that it should work.

The main.cf of Postfix on a BlueOnyx is corrected by a custom Systemd
script of ours on every Postfix restart. But we don't entirely replace
it. Instead we use "postconf" to adjust selected values. That script
isn't modifying 'smtpd_sasl_password_maps', so you should be find making
that change once and have it persist.