[BlueOnyx:25043] Re: Authenticated smarthost using Postfix

Colin Jack colin at mainline.co.uk
Mon Jul 26 15:43:32 -05 2021

Hi Michael,

    <https://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/mail_systems/postfix_documentation/postconf.5.html#smtp_sasl_auth_enable>
    > = yes

    That's correct, as we need that to allow users to send email via SMTP-Auth.

    > I need to enable authenticated SMTP for our smarthost setting on 5210R
    >
    > Is it just a matter of adding the following to main.cf:
    >
    > smtpd_sasl_password_maps
    > <https://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/mail_systems/postfix_documentation/postconf.5.html#smtp_sasl_password_maps>
    > = hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd
    >
    > and creating the password file?

    I *think* so, but I haven't yet used that option myself. But from what
    I've read at the URL you posted I'm fairly certain that it should work.

    The main.cf of Postfix on a BlueOnyx is corrected by a custom Systemd
    script of ours on every Postfix restart. But we don't entirely replace
    it. Instead we use "postconf" to adjust selected values. That script
    isn't modifying 'smtpd_sasl_password_maps', so you should be find making
    that change once and have it persist.

I will experiment and post my results.

Regards

Colin