[BlueOnyx:24981] Re: user wants his old e-mail from uname at domain.tld to new uname at uname.domain.tld

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sun Jun 27 12:37:50 -05 2021

Hi Meaulnes,

> hmmm, I have a tricky one here, I presume it isn't possible, but one can
> still ask, right?
>
> on the 5209R, users had their own webspace reachable at
> www.domain.tld/~uname/
>
> now on the 5210R, this isn't possible. So, for a specific user who
> wanted to regain his webspace at above address, I created a new virtual
> site called uname.domain.tld and transferred all files to that domain. I
> had to delete the user «uname» at domain.tld and set it up as new user
> «uname» at uname.domain.tld.
>
> everything works fine except that his·her original e-mail address
> *uname at domain.tld* doesn't work anymore, the new working address is
> *uname at uname.domain.tld*
>
> now: is there way to set up an alias at domain.tld the redirects
> *uname at domain.tld* to *uname at uname.domain.tld*?

There are a couple of ways how to make this work within the constrains
of the GUI:

The easiest way would be to make uname.domain.tld not a separate Vsite,
but a subdomain under www.domain.tld itself. That way the user "uname"
could remain a user of the Vsite www.domain.tld and could retain his
email address as uname at domain.tld

Second option: On the Vsite uname.domain.tld delete the user "uname" and
recreate him with a different username. Like "siteadmin_uname". Let the
user use that account to manage the files in the web directory of the
Vsite uname.domain.tld. Then recreate the user "uname" at the original
Vsite www.domain.tld so that his email still works.

There are a couple of other ways how this can be done, too. But I think
these two are the best and easiest ways.