[BlueOnyx:24870] Re: FreeBSD 13 and pfSense drama (Off-Topic)

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sun Mar 28 12:39:08 -05 2021

Hi Ken,

> The lesson of the article seems not to be that the convicted felon wrote bad
> code (although he did), but that open source code being safe because it is
> reviewed by the community is a myth.

There are quite a few lessons to be drawn from this. I'm more puzzled at
Netgate kicking pfsense 2.5.0 out of the door with this garbage included
and then having the audacity to yell at FreeBSD "You published
zero-day-exploits for our product!" when FreeBSD replaced the buggy code. :p

That's a real classy act.

And no: "reviewed by community" has always been a myth or is at least
way overrated. Usually nobody looks at pre-release code unless they have
to for very specific and narrow reasons.