[BlueOnyx:24874] Re: FreeBSD 13 and pfSense drama (Off-Topic)

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Mon Mar 29 09:12:42 -05 2021

This hits a little bit close to home.   I have used and recommended
pfSense for many years and overall it has been an extremely stable and
relatively feature-rich option.

But to say that the move to 2.5 was botched would be kind.    We rolled
out a new pfSense device on a non-profit's network we help to manage to
turn up a new site and the system acted flat-out broken when trying to
connect IPSEC VPN to the main system back at the HQ.    The
recommendation, of course, was to update all the systems so we scheduled
the outages necessary to load the new updtes and reboot.   After the
updates, then entire VPN network was down and would not re-connect.

I fiddled with it for some time before opening a paid support case with
Netgate.    They had it fixed within literal minutes of opening the case
(yay!) but the report on what they did to fix it was a bit vague, to say
the least.   Although the case was resolved, we noted that no
configuration change had been made within the GUI.    Odd.

Nobody here knew anything about what had been happening behind the
scenes with the Wireguard mess, but something about the response we got
on our case just didn't feel right.  Looking around online, what we
experienced with the VPN doesn't seem to have been an isolated
incident.   The lack of transparency from Netgate was disappointing.
I find that I have much better tolerance for a problem when the vendor
will own it and explain the way forward.   Hushed conversations and
finger pointing tend to lead to distrust.   I hope that Netgate will do
better in the future.

I'm directly responsible for the management of a couple dozen pfSense
devices and we support dozens more.   It's been a great product.   I'd
like to continue to be able to confidently rely upon and recommend pfSense.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services