[BlueOnyx:24955] BlueOnyx VDMK and VDI images

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat May 29 02:21:56 -05 2021

Hi all,

For an unrelated project I'm currently messing with QEMU KVMs and
conversion of these KVMs into disk images for other virtualization
platforms.

I'm also using QEMU KVMs to quickly test freshly built BlueOnyx ISO
images to see if they work. That made the next step kinda natural:

>From now on whenever a new BlueOnyx ISO is published I'll also publish
disk images in VMDK format (for VMware) and VDIs (for VirtualBox).

This gives users of these virtualization platforms (and others that
allow imports of these formats) two options: Either install BlueOnyx off
the ISO, or use one of the pre-installed disk images for their
virtualization platform.

A BlueOnyx 5210R (on AlmaLinux 8.4) VMDK and a VDI are now available and
can be downloaded via the links at the bottom of the usual download page:

https://www.blueonyx.it/downloads

Or directly at this URL at the primary mirror(s):

http://updates.blueonyx.it/pub/BlueOnyx/OVA/

BlueOnyx 5209R VDMKs and VDIs will be published when I next update the
5209R ISO image.

Ideally publishing OVAs (Open Virtual Appliance format) would be more
ideal, as they are more universally accepted and not only contain the
virtual disk, but also the basic configuration of the VM (such as which
virtual hardware should be simulated). However, there is no direct way
to convert from QEMU to OVA and I can't easily do this without bloating
up the publishing process in an unreasonable fashion.