[BlueOnyx:25189] Re: Switch to Almalinux for existing CentOS installation?

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Nov 4 02:26:07 -05 2021

Hi Dirk,

> are there any new developments or findings in this matter?
> In two months we should have all CentOS 8 machines switched to Almalinux or
> RockyLinux.
> I don't want to have to start at the end of December....

Fully understandable.

I've done quite a bit of testing of the
https://github.com/AlmaLinux/almalinux-deploy script and I'm getting
encouraging results.

However, my concern is how we want to deploy this. Because it's not
entirely without risks. Two options:

1.) I provide an RPM that will be automatically installed via YUM. It
contains the conversion script and possibly a page integrated into the
GUI that informs people to run the script manually and explanations of
why and how.

2.) RPM gets installed automatically via YUM. *After* the YUM update and
during the next Active Monitor run a one-time-script automatically runs
the conversion script. No user-input required.

Either way: There are chances that stuff breaks.

If we go option #1, some people might miss the deadline. But those that
do the manual conversion with the provided tool will be able to see what
is/was going on during the upgrade and have a chance to do it on their
own terms.

Option #2 means everyone that auto-updates via YUM will get it during
the next YUM run and the conversion will be automatic. And as a matter
of statistics *some* servers will run into issues and their owners will
be none the wiser, except that a YUM update "killed" their server.

Suggestions?