[BlueOnyx:25198] BlueOnyx 5210R: CentOS 8 to AlmaLinux 8 conversion

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Nov 8 20:21:23 -05 2021

Hi all,

As discussed a bit further down on this list ([BlueOnyx:25127]) we were
in need of an easy way to convert BlueOnyx 5210R servers that still run
CentOS 8 over to AlmaLinux 8.

After all, the End-of-Life of CentOS 8 (31st December 2021) is fast
approaching.

The consensus was to not automate the conversion, but to provide an easy
shell based solution that admins can run at their convenience.

YUM updates incorporating that have just been released for BlueOnyx 5210R.

See this page for more information:

https://www.blueonyx.it/almalinux-convert

If your BlueOnyx 5210R is still running CentOS 8, then after a GUI login
as "admin" (or other account with System-Administrator privileges) you
will be shown a warning message that explains the situation, tells you
what script to run and it also has a link to the URL mentioned above.

At that URL you can see a screenshot of the GUI with the warning message
and also a video of a shell session in which I do a full conversion of a
BlueOnyx 5210R from CentOS 8 to AlmaLinux 8.

If your BlueOnyx is not a CentOS 8 (or has already been converted), then
the GUI will of course not show the conversion reminder.

Please check it out and let me know if you run into any issues or need
further assistance.