[BlueOnyx:25216] Re: 200 Domains

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sun Nov 14 22:11:48 -05 2021

Hi Felix,

> Can a BlueOnyx Server handle 200 different domains?
> If yes, what would be the minimum server specification?

BlueOnyx has no hard limit for Vsites or domains and you can host as
many as you want.

What limits there are are defined by the hardware, the intended usage
cases and possibly when having so many Vsites may become ungainly as far
as management via the GUI is concerned.

I recall working on one of your main servers in the past and hardware
wise something like that should be fine.

If it were for myself, I'd avoid the "many eggs in one basket" approach,
though. I'd rather take an aptly sized server with lots of RAM and large
enough disks, would put a virtualization software on in (I naturally
prefer our Aventurin{e} - but use whatever you feel comfortable with)
and then would set up multiple virtual servers.

If I had the need for 200 Vsites, I'd probably set up 2-3 VPS's running
BlueOnyx 5210R and would spread the Vsites between them. This would also
allow for some separation of services, like one VPS's running everything
that's email related and the other ones running web related stuff. With
another possible split being that runs the more important and
trustworthy Vsites and one runs the less trustworthy Vsites. Like those
where you are never sure if the siteAdmins keep their web facing
applications current and secure.

>From a disaster recovery point of view having multiple smaller VPS's
signifies that you can get the important parts of your eco-system back
online much faster and don't have to wait until *everything* has been
restored on a single large server.

Likewise: If you have only one big server that runs everything, then
load fluctuations caused by one Vsite will always affect everything else
as well. If you use VPS's, you can impose load limits on each VPS's and
if one goes over the top in terms of load, it may have some impact on
the performance of the other VPS's as well, but (if done right) it won't
take them down with it.

If you outline a bit more what you have in mind, then I'm sure we can
chip in collectively with some ideas or suggestions to find a good fit
for you.