[BlueOnyx:25179] Getting Started with Let'sEncrypt and local https access

Chad Bersche chad at bersche.com
Fri Oct 29 14:37:10 -05 2021

First, my apologies for the encryption newbie questions.  I'm trying to
get my site set up and running with SSL turned on, and thought I knew
how to start, but clearly that's not the case.

I'm doing all of this on a test install, so my running system isn't
impacted.  I'm still getting email and everything else on my existing
5210R install.

I obtained the AlmaLinux 5210 media and installed Blueonyx.  I pointed
port 80 to the new server in my firewall rules (yes, I'm fine not having
my current port 80 accessible during testing).  I then went directly
into Security -> SSL -> Let'sEncrypt, put in my email, and request/renew
certificate was checked, and left the max cert age at 60, and hit Save.

It seemed to work, as I looked at the letsencrypt.log file and it shows
that it's installing all of the certs, etc.

However, when I now try to access my server via https for
administration, I receive errors from the browsers:

Firefox Reports:
Secure Connection Failed
An error occurred during a connection to hostname.domainname.com:444.
SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.
Error code: SSL_ERROR_RX_RECORD_TOO_LONG

Chrome/Edge says:
ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR

I've clearly done something wrong, and I have no idea what.  I also
don't know if I need to revoke the current certificate to continue any
debugging or how to exactly proceed.  I'd appreciate whatever pointers
possible, as I'm hoping to work my way thru this and get my own SSL running.

Sorry for the total newb questions, but this is my first foray into
Let's Encrypt on my own stuff.

Thanks!

   -- Chad