[BlueOnyx:25093] Re: DDNS

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Sep 9 13:53:35 -05 2021

Hi Colin,

> Quick question.
> Has anybody set up a DDNS server on BX?
Yeah, I did so via two different methods in the past:

1.) Via PowerDNS

There is a small extra module for the PowerDNS server that exposes a
special password protected URL. When that URL is accessed, it checks the
caller IP and uses that to update a specific DNS record to inherit that
IP instead.

2.) Via the built in BIND DNS server in BlueOnyx, using GUI methods.

That uses sort of the same principle. An URL in the AdmServ GUI is
exposed (with username and password protection). If called it'll also
note down the caller IP and uses a CCEd SET transaction to update
specific DNS A Record of one or more Domains to use the caller IP.

I once thought rolling up a PKG for #2, but realized there wasn't really
a market for it that made it worth the effort to do a 100% solution.

If you want, I could quickly hack something together for you. It'll
work, but it won't be that pretty. And this is *just* for DNS, right?
Not for changing the IPs of Vsites on the server on the fly?