[BlueOnyx:25095] Re: DDNS

Colin Jack colin at mainline.co.uk
Fri Sep 10 02:49:03 -05 2021

Good morning Michael,

    Hi Colin,

    > Quick question.
    > Has anybody set up a DDNS server on BX?
    Yeah, I did so via two different methods in the past:

    1.) Via PowerDNS

    There is a small extra module for the PowerDNS server that exposes a
    special password protected URL. When that URL is accessed, it checks the
    caller IP and uses that to update a specific DNS record to inherit that
    IP instead.

    2.) Via the built in BIND DNS server in BlueOnyx, using GUI methods.

    That uses sort of the same principle. An URL in the AdmServ GUI is
    exposed (with username and password protection). If called it'll also
    note down the caller IP and uses a CCEd SET transaction to update
    specific DNS A Record of one or more Domains to use the caller IP.

    I once thought rolling up a PKG for #2, but realized there wasn't really
    a market for it that made it worth the effort to do a 100% solution.

    If you want, I could quickly hack something together for you. It'll
    work, but it won't be that pretty. And this is *just* for DNS, right?
    Not for changing the IPs of Vsites on the server on the fly?

That would be very kind!
Yes - purely to change IP in DNS for a couple of my own dynamics.
We are starting to use 4G for internet in our house in Spain and they don't do statics.

All the best

Colin