[BlueOnyx:25391] Re: another 5210R item

Larry Smith lesmith at ecsis.net
Tue Apr 26 15:10:59 -05 2022

Michael,

  Sendmail uses the "name" of  the interface as
its answer to a connection and with this entry
every IP answers as the server name instead of
the name given to that IP in DNS - which is incorrect.

<quote sendmail.mc from 5210R)
define(`confSMTP_LOGIN_MSG',$?{if_name}${if_name}$|$j$. Sendmail Ready; $b)dnl
</quote>

And this sendmail entry has been there since the
Cobalt days (comment right before it is mine,
I am "les").

Have no idea why you would intentionally do that
but it creates incorrect output and issues (at least
to me and the sites we host).  Changed all of this
and reported it on the 5209R for the same reasons.

--
Larry Smith
lesmith at ecsis.net