[BlueOnyx:25392] Re: another 5210R item

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Apr 26 18:33:13 -05 2022

Hi Larry,

>    Sendmail uses the "name" of  the interface as
> its answer to a connection and with this entry
> every IP answers as the server name instead of
> the name given to that IP in DNS - which is incorrect.
>
> <quote sendmail.mc from 5210R)
> define(`confSMTP_LOGIN_MSG',$?{if_name}${if_name}$|$j$. Sendmail Ready; $b)dnl
> </quote>
>
> And this sendmail entry has been there since the
> Cobalt days (comment right before it is mine,
> I am "les").
>
> Have no idea why you would intentionally do that
> but it creates incorrect output and issues (at least
> to me and the sites we host).  Changed all of this
> and reported it on the 5209R for the same reasons.

What Sendmail or Postfix report back as MTA hostname is not really of
any consequence or relevance. And in cases where all Vsites are on the
same IP or an IP is used by multiple Vsites, it is less and less
consequential that in all cases it reports back the hostname of the
server itself. In fact it is even more desirable, as you don't want the
SMTP banner read customer-A.com when customer-B.com connects, who has
the 2nd, 3rd or 55th Vsite on the same IP.

On the other hand the entries in /etc/hosts supersede any incorrect or
missing DNS information for Vsites that you host. So you can in fact
already send (local) email to users on freshly created Vsites that don't
yet have their DNS or still have propagation issues. Likewise you can
(locally) test Vsites w/o DNS and stuff like that, which is a lot more
useful.

That's why we have these entries in /etc/hosts. /shrug