[BlueOnyx:25843] Re: 5211R: network problem after first reboot before initial setup

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Dec 14 23:32:09 -05 2022

Hi Juerg,

> Yes, but in Switzerland "Jürg" is a common name and therefore my
> official name in my passport. In Germany it's "Jürgen" or "Jörg", so
> it's common to be called "Jürgen" :)

Oh, I see. While I'm familliar with Jörg or Jürgen, I didn't know that
Jürg was a common name in Switzerland.

> ifconfig behaves terribly since el8 and it gets worse with every new
> release... Handling with ifconfig to reload network configuration drives
> me crazy (especially with routing tables) and use the nmcli-commands
> since el8. Shutting down and restarting the network interface using
> nmcli has proven useful for reloading the network configuration.

Indeed. I've stopped using "ifconfig" in EL8 and EL9, as you can't
easily do away with NetworkManager there anymore. Even "ifup" and
"ifdown" are tied into NetworkManager via /etc/alternatives/ifup and
ifdown. /sigh

In my opinion it's a shame. The first thing I do on a "naked" EL8 and
EL9 is usually to "yum install net-tools" to get "ifconfig" and "route"
back, as nothing more quickly and easily shows the current network
config and routes. But for changing them it now has to be "nmcli" or (in
case of routing) "ip".

> Thanks for your update, also works fine in my environment and I have no
> more lost network connections in setup process.

Very well. I'm glad to hear that.

> Glad to hear it, thanks! Of course we can discuss it with direct email
> how can I support you and your team. I'm not really common with the
> Cobalt components, objects and databases but I understand php, pl and
> sh-scripts and common linux commands, linux services, ... and use the
> blueonyx system for years (only for personal servers, not in a greater
> environment). So I'm good at finding bugs and isolating or even finding
> the error. If you think, I can support you somewhere we can discuss it.
> I like the blueonyx system and I'm ready to support you if it's desired.

Sounds great! I'll send you an email offlist. :o)