[BlueOnyx:25840] Re: 5211R: network problem after first reboot before initial setup

Juerg Sommer jsommer at emailto.ch
Wed Dec 14 14:42:31 -05 2022

Hi Michael

 > Hi Juerg,
 > (By the way: Is this short for Jürgen?)

Yes, but in Switzerland "Jürg" is a common name and therefore my
official name in my passport. In Germany it's "Jürgen" or "Jörg", so
it's common to be called "Jürgen" :)

 >> /usr/sausalito/runonce/initServices.sh with this line
 >>    HAVETH=$(nmcli -t d |grep ethernet|cut -d : -f1|grep
":connected"|grep eth0|wc -l)
 > Indeed. I just checked that and the "cut -d : -f1" is unnecessary.
 > Am not sure what kind of brain fart I had there. :p
 > It doesn't hurt, but it's unneeded. I just removed it from the code
 > in SVN and the next time base-blueonyx gets published that change
 > will be part of it. As it doesn't hurt, I'll leave the version that
still has it in the repos.

Thanks. As we know now, that was not the error, but I saw it on the way
to find the right solution. But with cutting
nmcli -t d |grep ethernet|cut -d : -f1|grep ":connected"|grep eth0|wc -l
the output after cut is "eth0"; so grep ":connected" can NEVER be true
and you'll never enter the if-loop. But that statement was the wrong way
to the solution for my problem.

 >> But in el9 this file is not longer required.
 > True. But we have so much baggage regarding the network settings that
ripping it
 > all out and replacing it with "nmcli" calls is a major effort. So I
left that part in and
 > just tacked on the "nmcli" calls wherever appropriate and required.
This isn't ideal,
 > I know. But a complete overhaul of base-network.mod is quite a
massive job.

I understand...

 >> Also in rewrite-ifcfg.pl
 >> you will shutdown eth0 interface (and maybe it can't be started again).
 > I looked over that code and it's pretty convoluted.

Yes, it is :)

 > They way it's *supposed* to work? If we *change* a network device,
the old one
 > should be shut down and the new brought up. There are also various
places where
 > a "rollback" is performed in case the configuration errored out. In
that case changes
 > ought to be undone and that might require bringing an interface down
and perhaps
 > another one up - depending on what the changes were.

ifconfig behaves terribly since el8 and it gets worse with every new
release... Handling with ifconfig to reload network configuration drives
me crazy (especially with routing tables) and use the nmcli-commands
since el8. Shutting down and restarting the network interface using
nmcli has proven useful for reloading the network configuration.

 >> Adding
 >> `/usr/bin/nmcli con down eth0 && /usr/bin/nmcli con up eth0`;
 >> and the end of rewrite-ifcfg.pl to force another network restart
 >> with NetworkManager seems to be a valid workaround.
 > Very well. I just added that to the handler and published new
base-network RPMs to YUM.

Thanks for your update, also works fine in my environment and I have no
more lost network connections in setup process.

 >> I'll roll up another ISO and do a test install from it to see if
that also fixes the
 >> busted network I encountered after the initial config. It sounds
like it might solve that as well.

As you wrote in the other mail, that has fixed this problem too. Great,
one bugfix for two problems :)

 > Juerg, I *really* appreciate your input. You've got the skills and
dedication and you deliver
 > solutions that are just picture perfect. That's exactly what we need.
Join the team,
 > or we might have to abduct you! :o)
 > You're more than welcome!

Glad to hear it, thanks! Of course we can discuss it with direct email
how can I support you and your team. I'm not really common with the
Cobalt components, objects and databases but I understand php, pl and
sh-scripts and common linux commands, linux services, ... and use the
blueonyx system for years (only for personal servers, not in a greater
environment). So I'm good at finding bugs and isolating or even finding
the error. If you think, I can support you somewhere we can discuss it.
I like the blueonyx system and I'm ready to support you if it's desired.

Regards,
Juerg