[BlueOnyx:25532] Re: 5210R: vacation reply

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Jul 26 21:28:02 -05 2022

Hi Tim,

>> rm /etc/smrsh/vacation.pl  <http://vacation.pl>
>> ln -s /usr/local/sbin/vacation.pl  <http://vacation.pl>  /etc/smrsh/vacation.pl  <http://vacation.pl>
>
> Yeah, that takes care of it. The problem usually happens if someone installs a
> bad OpenWebmail PKG, or installs OpenWebmail from the sources. OpenWebmail's
> vacation.pl  <http://vacation.pl>  conflicts with the one from both BlueQuartz and BlueOnyx.
>

> Does this fix apply for 7/26/2022 - 5210R ?

No, there never was an OpenWebmail for 5210R and this "fix" is so
ancient that it no longer applies.

If you do have problems with Vacation messages, then the way to start to
look at it is to run a tail on /var/log/maillog and /var/log/messages,
email to the account in question and see what messages pop up in the log.

You can also open /usr/local/sbin/vacation.pl in an editor and change
the line ...

$DEBUG = "0";

... near the top of it to ...

$DEBUG = "1";

... to get more information in /var/log/messages to really see what's
going on.

The typical issues these days are that people don't take into account
that vacation messages are ONLY sent to senders once a week. So if
someone sends you an email first time around, then that sender gets a
vacation message. Then he can email you as often as he wants, he won't
get another one until a week has passed. There is a small database that
keeps track of sender email addresses and timestamps. This database is
in the home directory of every user where vacation messages are active.

Let me know if you need any more help with this.