[BlueOnyx:25489] Re: /var/log/maillog and /var/log/messages zero file siza

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Jun 30 13:50:49 -05 2022

Hi Meaulnes,

> on one mailserver, the SMTP limps, some messages cannot get out or throw
> an «Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender» error. I wanted to go to see
> what's going on in /var/log/maillog and /var/log/messages and noticed,
> that since three days they have *zero bytes* file size.

This is an issue that sometimes happens on EL7 and EL8. The best way to
shake logging loose again is this:

rm /var/log/journal/*/*
rm /var/lib/rsyslog/imjournal.state
systemctl restart systemd-journald
systemctl restart rsyslog

I just did that on your affected server and it's now logging again.

I had gotten your offlist email, but due to traveling and then
recovering from the flu I wasn't working much.

I don't why airlines think it's a great idea to let people wait for
hours in 40°C terminals and then cool them down to a shivering 18°C in
flight. /sigh