[BlueOnyx:25363] Re: Root/admin passwd problems

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat Mar 19 14:07:33 -05 2022

Hi Arie,

 > This morning my server stopped and would not reboot, the error from
 > journalctl was /sysroot.
 >
 > So I did a xfs_repair on /dev/md0 and /dev/dm-0. Server
 > started, all is  running happily….
 >
 > But when I tried to login, the admin passwd was set to
 > blueonyx. Changed it. The root passwd was also set to
 > blueonyx, changed it.
 >
 > And this is when the shit hit the fan…. Every time I reboot
 > the server, the admin and root passwd are reset to blueonyx.
 >
 > (besides, the GUI does not accept the ‘blueonyx’ or the new passwd.
 > Da fook?).
 >
 > What do I have to do to make my own password stick when I reboot?

Say, are you *still* on that server with the faulty disk(s) we talked
about in the last few months? And where the recommendation always was:
Swap the disks before this gets any worse? :p

The password "blueonyx" is usually set for "root" (and "admin") during
initial setup, provided the user "admin" doesn't exist yet in the CODB
database. Then the user "admin" is created, he gets his default password
set and this default password is then also set for "root".

The constructor /usr/sausalito/constructor/base/user/50_addAdmin.pl does
that.

In order for this to fire on an already configured server your CODB
database probably no longer has the "admin" user, or user "admin"
doesn't exist in first place.

You can check if "admin" exists in CODB this way:

[root at test ~]# /usr/sausalito/bin/cceclient
100 CSCP/0.99
200 READY
find User name = "admin"
104 OBJECT 6
201 OK

And you can check this way if the user exists in the system:
[root at test ~]# cat /etc/passwd|grep ^admin:x|wc -l
1

But with all the xfs_repair and what not there is a high chance that
some "essentials" from your BlueOnyx install have gone walkies and that
the state of the OS and the BlueOnyx install is somewhat askew.

It might possibly be worth it to do a "rpm -Va" and see if it shows any
major issues.