[BlueOnyx:25725] Re: BlueOnyx 5211R Released

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Nov 23 13:37:48 -05 2022

Hi Colin,

 > I have tried to spin up a KVM on my 6109R but have come
 > across a problem.
 >
 > I select vzlinux7 for distribution but
 >
 > "No OS templates found! Please do a YUM update or manually install
 > OS templates first by placing them in /vz/template/cache/."
 >
 > I have updated the template "vzlinux-7-x86_64	VzLinux 7
 > (for AMD64/Intel EM64T) Virtuozzo Template" but still nothing.
 >
 > What am I doing wrong? :-/

Yeah, let me provide a more detailed writeup that outlines all steps:

Login as "root" by SSH to your 6109R node. Then run these commands:

cd /vz/ISOs/
wget
http://updates.blueonyx.it/pub/BlueOnyx/ISO/BlueOnyx-5211R-AlmaLinux-9.1-20221123.iso

That downloads the latest 5211R ISO image into the directory where the
KVM installer looks for ISO images.

Then go to the 6109R GUI, "Virtual Servers" and click on "Add KVM".

Under "OS template" the ISO should now be selectable.

Under "Distribution" select one of the EL7 variants. Which one doesn't
matter. "CentOS 7, Vzlinux 7, Cloudlinux 7". It's the best that has to
offer and there are no options for an EL8 or EL9.

Now start from the top down and make sure to fill in all blanks:

- VPSID
- IP Address
- DNS Servers
- Autostart (ticked)
- Distribution (centos7)
- OS Template (the 5211R ISO)
- VPS Owner (admin)
- Mountpoint (/vz)
- Default RAM (I suggest 8GB)
- VNC (be sure to enable it and set a password!)
- Diskspace (40GB or more)

Now save the changes. This will take a moment.

Once it has saved, go back to "Virtual Servers" and the new VM should
already be visible. If not, give it a moment and reload the "Virtual
Servers" page. When it is visible, click on the pen icon, click on "VNC
Access" and it should open the VNC access in an iframe in the page.
There is a button in the blue header of that Iframe that allows you to
make this window stand alone for better resizability.

IF VNC Access doesn't load? Go back to SSH and do "systemctl restart
webvnc.service" and then it should work.

WebVNC will ask you for a password. That is NOT the node password, but
the one you configured under "VNC" for this VM when you created it. Once
past the password prompt you will see the console window and should be
able to see the ISO image boot menu. Choose your install option (the
default one is fine) and let it finish the install.

After the install is finished, reboot the VM and then use WebVNC again
to login and perform the initial setup following the onscreen
instructions. The IP address should be the IP you assigned to the VM
during creation. The netmask should be that of your address range and
the gateway IP is NOT the IP of the node. It has to be the IP address
ranges regular gateway.

One caveat: After the network setting shave been configured for the
first time you may have to reboot the VM again in order for the gateway
to be reachable.

After the reboot your VM should be ready to use.

Let me know if you have any further questions or difficulties with this.