[BlueOnyx:25776] Re: Is the use of mod_autoindex.so still appropriate today?

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Nov 30 12:22:16 -05 2022

Hi Dirk,

> I have a suggestion that in future we do not use the module
> mod_autoindex.so and the config /etc/httpd/conf.d/autoindex.conf in Apache.
>
> We don't have a customer who uses the autoindex and it is my first
> action on a new server to turn off the indexex option.
>
> If no one else uses the autoindex either or everyone always turns it off
> right away. Then we could basically do without it.

I do have a few usage cases where I am still needing "autoindex" because
I willingly expose files in directories for download and I know of some
users who're also needing it.

But I agree: For the "typical" usage cases (websites) this is more
harmful than it does good.

So yeah: Let's make it configurable with the new default (on newly
installed servers) being that "autoindex" is off. For not rocking the
boat I'll try to roll out an update that leaves "autoindex" enabled on
existing servers that get this as as YUM update.