[BlueOnyx:26662] Re: jquery warning

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Dec 12 10:55:04 -05 2023

Hi Taco,

> To be very honest, I personally think the XSS issue
> this version has is not exploitable (easily) and I cannot think of any
> way running this version would impact the security of the BlueOnyx UI.

Indeed. We don't use jQuery for critical or security related functions
and the GUI as well as CCEd have CSRF, XSS filtering, ACLs,
multi-layered input validation (in the GUI itself and in CCE), plus
there is a strict content policy that prevents the loading of external
content into the GUI. So I can't imagine a scenario where a jQuery
vulnerability would affect us.

> I agree we should always aim to run on non-vulnerable versions, but as
> sometimes upgrading to newer versions break the compatibility this would
> not be an easy effort.
I'll take a look at this today. If I can't upgrade jQuery and retain
compatibility with the offered migration plugins I'll at least replace
jQuery with a patched version that's floating around and being
maintained for those who can't do a straight up move to the latest version.