[BlueOnyx:26691] BlueOnyx 5209R/5210R/5211R: PHP-8.3.1 available

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Dec 29 13:42:32 -05 2023

Hi all,

PHP-8.3 has become available and this time around I skipped building the
8.3.0 version. Now with PHP-8.3.1 out, a PKG for BlueOnyx 5209R, 5210R
and 5211R has been made available via NewLinQ as part of the usual PHP
bundle.

Building this for 5209R and 5210R has become quite a bit of a chore due
to both a broken ImageMagick support (fixed it in the PKG) as well as
the whole build tool chain on EL7 and EL8 becoming somewhat more antique
than PHP-8.3 would like to see it. I managed to overcome this by using
the optional "devtools-11" toolchain, which contains a newer compiler
and a newer "binutils". Otherwise building with the usual mbstring
support wouldn't have been possible.

Funny sidenote: While I was banging my head against the wall solving
these small nuisances I made the observation that if I ever write a
doctoral thesis, then it probably would be about the challenging
conflicts of interest that triple-hatted IT workers face, which work
full time for tech giants (RedHat) and build their PHP, have an
influential position in Open Source projects (PHP.org) and publish their
own PHP packages that whole industries depend on (Remi Colette's PHP
repo).

Semi-related link:
https://forum.remirepo.net/viewtopic.php?pid=12805#p12805 :o)

That's not intended as a "diss", as Remi is doing a really great and
certainly underappreciated job.

--
With best regards,