[BlueOnyx:25924] Re: Can't set host name in GUI

Juerg Sommer jsommer at emailto.ch
Fri Jan 13 13:52:04 -05 2023

Hi Robert,

> Initially, when setting up this VM, I had tampabaywebhosting.net set
> as an alias to a vsite email service, I removed in case it was causing
> issue. If I look at hostnamectl after a fresh reboot:
>
> [root at www ~]# hostnamectl
>  Static hostname: www.tampabaywebhosting.net
>        Icon name: computer-vm
>          Chassis: vm 🖴
>       Machine ID: bb4c652636df49859421f54a0864c797
>          Boot ID: c53a1393f2394738b7a296d39c1d2b2f
>   Virtualization: kvm
> Operating System: AlmaLinux 9.1 (Lime Lynx)
>      CPE OS Name: cpe:/o:almalinux:almalinux:9::baseos
>           Kernel: Linux 5.14.0-162.6.1.el9_1.x86_64
>     Architecture: x86-64
>  Hardware Vendor: Red Hat
>   Hardware Model: KVM
>
> However, it shows Host Name: tampabaywebhosting and Domain Name: net
> when viewed in the BlueOnyx GUI. It will revert when I try to set Host
> Name: www and Domain Name: tampabaywebhosting.net in the TCP/IP
> settings of the GUI.

I had yesterday a similiar problem with the dns server on same gui page:
the settings where changed, but the gui still showed the old values. I
had to logout an relogin or open a private browser tab and not only
refresh the page (browser session had to be destoryed) , then the new
value was show. Maybe it's the same problem with hostname.

Alternativ, you can run /root/network_settings.sh as root which will
show a console gui to change hostname and ip-settings.

@Michael: my hosting provider resets my dns and I patch /etc/resolv.conf
with a cronjob. I would write a perl-script which changes it over
cceclient in a free minute. So I haven't do great debugging. But what I
can say: cceclient shows correct new values, also the new servers are
written to system (in my case /etc/resolv.conf). But $System contained
the old values (tested it with print_r($System) in php-script. Maybe
that helps. I'll send a ticket when I changed my cronjob to
perl/cceclient and the problem still exists.

Regards,
Juerg