[BlueOnyx:26313] Re: negative AV-Spam score

Juerg Sommer jsommer at emailto.ch
Thu Jun 22 05:57:38 -05 2023

Hi Meaulnes

> I'm confronted with a peculiar situation: spam slips untagged thru
> with a *negative* score

> what's wrong here? I set the Required Reject Hits to 9 instead of 10
> and that mail shouldn't have appeared at all if the score had been
> 61.5, but positive! How does it turn negative?

That's normal. SpamAssasin gives positive and negative points based on
rules. There are some rules that indicates harmless mails (ex. BAYES
score 1-10%), in your case USER_IN_WELCOMELIST  and USER_IN_WHITELIST.
And some other rules, hat indicates spam like BITCOIN_DEADLINE. If the
sum of all affected rules is greater than the defined score, the mail is
marked as spam.

I don't know/use the BlueOnyx plugin for spam scanning. Perhaps you can
define your Welcome-List Addresses in the gui and should check if this
sender address is whitelisted. There's maybe a missconfiguration, but
negative points are not generally a problem.

BTW: SpamAssassin has changed their wording (like many other companies).
Whitelist is now welcomelist, blacklist is blocklist. So one of the
rules above would be an alias of the other and I don't know how it's
named in the GUI.

Best regards,
Juerg