[BlueOnyx:26050] Re: php shell_exec() or exec() always returns null

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat Mar 25 09:36:45 -05 2023

Hi Brent,

> I set it to suPHP and I can see the php.ini generated in the vsite's
> directory, but it's still not working.
>
> The vsite's php.ini file doesn't contain a configuration for
> disable_functions (does it inherit certain configs from a master php.ini?)

Yeah, the GUI uses uses /etc/php.ini as template when it builds the
Vsite's php.ini.

> I can't modify the vsite's php.ini file (read-only, even as root).

That's correct. It's protected with "chattr". To allow editing, run this
as root first:

chattr -i php.ini

If you want to protect it again after your edits, run this instead:

chattr +i php.ini

It's a good idea to make a copy of your modified php.ini, as the GUI may
overwrite it in the future when PHP changes are pushed out to Vsites.

> Is there somewhere in the BX GUI to edit the vsite-specific php.ini that
> I'm missing?

Like said: Depending on the used PHP implementation the PHP related
config either goes into the <VirtualHost> section of Apache, into the
PHP-FPM pool config file of that Vsite, or into the php.ini of the
Vsite. Therefore there is no specific editor in the GUI that allows
fine-tuning. Instead the server wide PHP configs and the Vsite specific
configurations (such as memory limits, execution time and such) are
aggregated by the GUI and written out into whatever configuration that
Vsite's PHP requires. There is no built in editor to fiddle with
anything PHP related that the GUI doesn't already handle.