[BlueOnyx:26529] Network settings changing.

Fungal Style wayin at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 5 17:56:56 -05 2023

Hi all,

Not sure if this has been questioned before, but had an issue earlier today where I had to restart a server and although the server had been running for a long time with a static IPv4 address, it seems it discovered a rogue DHCP server and decided it would use the IP address from DHCP instead. When trying to change the IP address it was a little weird as the settings would not stick as it kept reverting to the DHCP server assigned IP address.
Let me provide the steps I did and what was observed (as best as I can recall).

  *   Server was not responding, did a ping to the server name and it resulted in a 10.x.x.x IP address (non routable, so not good for a production server that is supposed to be internet facing)
  *   Ran the ./networksettings script, I noticed the 10.x.x.x IP address when I said to set the IPv4 settings, along with all the other details as per the DHCP server
  *   In desperation I created a second ethernet device (it is a VM) and tried to set it using the ./net... script to no avail - this is probably not important but added just in case.
  *   When attempting to set the IP address via the ./network... script the subnet kept being a little weird, like making it 255.0.0.0, again this may not be important as it could have been part of the hangover from the DHCP and I am not sure exactly which order I tested this
  *   Once the DHCP server was disabled I was eventually able to set the IP address correctly and have it remain.
I suppose the question is does Blueonyx have DHCP enabled even when you set the IP address via the network setting script? It would appear so and is this by design?

The server is running 5210R

Regards
Brian