[BlueOnyx:26530] Re: Network settings changing.

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Oct 5 20:54:08 -05 2023

Hi Brian,

> Not sure if this has been questioned before, but had an issue earlier
> today where I had to restart a server and although the server had been
> running for a long time with a static IPv4 address, it seems it
> discovered a rogue DHCP server and decided it would use the IP address
> from DHCP instead. When trying to change the IP address it was a little
> weird as the settings would not stick as it kept reverting to the DHCP
> server assigned IP address.

The whole network stack of BlueOnyx doesn't use DHCP at all. When you
install BlueOnyx DHCP gets turned off and static network settings are
configured. And they remain static unless someone manually fiddles with
it or maybe some third party software fiddles with it.

I can't imagine a way how the network settings would switch to DHCP on
their own. So I'm as confused as you are why this has happened in your case.

The only way how you can still use DHCP on a BlueOnyx (there are some
valid usage cased for this after all) is when you create the (empty)
file /etc/is_aws. When that is present, all network related handlers and
constructors will no longer have permissions to change your network
settings at all. But even then: That doesn't switch your server to DHCP
on its own and one has to manually modify the network config files to do so.