[BlueOnyx:26555] Re: backup all DNS records of a specific domain

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Oct 26 02:36:06 -05 2023

Hi Meaulnes,

> After having transferred a domain to another domain host, I wanted to
> delete its DNS entries on my server in Server Management > Network
> Services > DNS > Select Domain...
>
> Is there a way to previously backup all the records of that domain in
> one go for easy restore? Of course I could copy all the records as text
> files and restore them manually if required, but maybe there is a more
> efficient way?

In that case the easiest way would be to back up the DNS Zone files
themselves.

You can find them in this directory on the BlueOnyx:

/var/named/chroot/var/named/

If the Vsite was named company.com, then these will be the files you
need to backup:

/var/named/chroot/var/named/db.company.com
/var/named/chroot/var/named/db.company.com~
/var/named/chroot/var/named/db.company.com.include

If need be, you can import the DNS again form them by pointing
/usr/sausalito/sbin/dnsImport.pl to the directory where you have these
files.