[BlueOnyx:26473] Re: [BULK] Blueonyx Digest, Vol 177, Issue 17

Darren Shea darrens at ecpi.com
Wed Sep 13 14:17:48 -05 2023

Thank you,
    Darren
    ECPI/Western Broadband
    (512) 257-1077

-----Original Message-----
From: Blueonyx [mailto:blueonyx-bounces at mail.blueonyx.it] On Behalf Of
blueonyx-request at mail.blueonyx.it
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2023 12:00 PM
To: blueonyx at mail.blueonyx.it
Subject: [BULK] Blueonyx Digest, Vol 177, Issue 17

Today's Topics:

   1. [BlueOnyx:26471] Re: minor Roundcube issue (Darren Shea)
   2. [BlueOnyx:26472] Re: minor Roundcube issue (Michael Stauber)

Hi Darren,

>       I couldn't find anything in /etc/httpd/conf.d/ which indicated any
kind
> of rewrite, and I also checked out the web directories of the virtual
sites.
> They do all have the webmail directory, but I'm not seeing anything which
> could be forcing a redirect.

Ok, so when you point to browser to the domain of a Vsite and add
/webmail to it, then I suppose it loads the RoundCube install of that
Vsite, right?

No, that's the weird thing.

Just so you can actually see this, I'll stop obfuscating my URLs...

When I go to mail.tcblandscapinginc.com/webmail , the URL which is displayed
on the roundcube login screen changes to
http://www.tcblandscapinginc.com/webmail/

When I go to mail.jbstonecompany.com/webmail, the URL which is displayed on
the roundcube login screen changes to
http://www.westernbroadband.com/webmail/

>       The only difference I am observing between my sites which do rewrite
> the URL for the webmail and those which do not is this: the vsites which
do
> rewrite the URL don't have a real website on this Blue Onyx. One of these
> sites only has the under construction website, but I guess that counts.
All
> the ones which suffer the URL rewrite have their web hosting done on some
> other server outside of our network.

Let's break this down:

>>- Site is not hosted on the BlueOnyx

Well, those sites have their web server on a different system, but the
site's email is hosted on this Blue Onyx, and as long as
www.westernbroadband.com points to the Blue Onyx, it works fine that the URL
is changed. The problem only started when we wanted to point the www host to
a different server. That change caused those URL rewrites to break, so we
reverted that change.

- DNS points to the external server where that site is located

That's not accurate. The DNS for the web server (www.) on some of these do
point to a different host. The "mail." host does point to this Blue Onyx
server, and it is what I've been using (successfully) to access webmail for
those clients to assist in troubleshooting in the past.

>>- http://<externa-site>/webmail brings up /webmail on the primary Vsite
of the BlueOnyx?

No - the host name I include in the URL is pointing to this Blue Onyx host,
not a different host.

There aren't any .htaccess files or other redirect files I can find, but
when I dug into the /etc/httpd/conf/vhosts directory, I did see something
(in the site# file) which looked like it could be related...

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}                !^10.1.1.27(:80)?$
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}                !^www.jswatersupply.com(:80)?$ [NC]

RewriteRule ^/(.*)                      http://www.jswatersupply.com/$1
[L,R=301]
RewriteOptions inherit
AliasMatch ^/~([^/]+)(/(.*))?
/home/.sites/58/site43/users/$1/web/$3

This looks like it actually should create a problem, since that www host is
not located on this system (DNS gives a server in Michigan), and that may
explain why it does seem to matter if the www host for the domain is located
here or not.

End of Blueonyx Digest, Vol 177, Issue 17