[BlueOnyx:26896] Re: Feature suggestion

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Apr 8 14:01:33 -05 2024

Hi Taco and Chris,

> Taco Scargo via Blueonyx wrote:
>> Still it would be great to be able to have the GUI pages accessible
>> via multiple domainnames :)
>
> Yes, I think I understand what you're saying.  It should be possible to
> simply have the GUI redirect to the "new" hostname for GUI login, thus
> keeping the certificate validation intact.    But yes, if you wanted the
> GUI to show all of the old and new hostnames in the address bar and not
> trigger a browser warning for being "insecure", then you would need the
> server hostname aliases, as you mentioned.

See "Server Management" / "Maintenance" / "Server-Desktop". Enable
"Redirect to Server-Name" and you're 99.5% there.

When the checkbox "Redirect to Server-Name" is ticked, then Apache will
redirect all calls to the Login-URL of the GUI to the server-name and
the login URL.

Example:

http://www.vsite.com/login
https://www.vsite.com/login

Both then go to https://server.com:81/login

That way we neither need SSL validity of the AdmServ cert for all the
Vsite names, nor does AdmServ need any web server aliases. Because it
already listens on any IP on the given ports (81/TCP & 444/TCP).

Even if someone accesses the GUI ports via IP? If "Redirect to
Server-Name" is ticked, it'll redirect to https://server.com:81/login

I really don't want to pull any functionality into AdmServ that requires
AdmServ restarts, as that usually rocks the boat way too much and harms
the user experience.