[BlueOnyx:26906] Re: IP change

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sun Apr 14 22:04:28 -05 2024

Hi Greg,

> I recently changed my main server IP. I made sure to take out all
> references of the old IP address, however when I send out an email
> sendmail seems to use any other IP available on the server except the
> main IP, which makes things difficult for gmail since they like having
> the PTR record point to the main server sending the email.  Why isn't
> sendmail using the main server IP?  Any suggestions?

Sendmail and Postfix should typically use the primary IP for sending emails.

When you run /sbin/ifconfig on your server, then this ought to be the IP
bound to eth0, provided your interfaces are named eth.

So please check with /sbin/ifconfig to see what IP is bound to the
primary interface and if that's *not* the IP you want to be the primary
IP, then that's probably the root cause of the issue.