[BlueOnyx:26931] Re: Log rotation

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sun Apr 21 03:54:10 -05 2024

Hi Aaron,

> I’m also noticing that there is no /etc/logrotate.d/ file or entry for
> /var/log/maillog on my 5211R server. At this point it’s been a couple of
> months since I set it up and /var/log/maillog has grown to 1.2GB.
>
> Is there a reason for this omission or should there be a file somewhere
> to configure its rotation?

The entry that handles logrotation for /var/log/maillog is in
/etc/logrotate.d/rsyslog and that should take care of it:

[root at 5211r ~]# cat /etc/logrotate.d/rsyslog
/var/log/cron
/var/log/maillog
/var/log/messages
/var/log/secure
/var/log/spooler
{
     missingok
     sharedscripts
     postrotate
         /usr/bin/systemctl -s HUP kill rsyslog.service >/dev/null 2>&1
|| true
     endscript
}