[BlueOnyx:26932] Blocking SSH Access

Colin Jack colin at mainline.co.uk
Sun Apr 21 03:55:41 -05 2024

We recently migrated a Virtbiz VPS from 5209R to 5210R.

On the 5209R we used /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny to stop all SSH access apart from a few trusted IP addresses.

This is not possible in 5210R so I am looking for some ideas to achieve the same.

I can’t use firewalld because this VPS is on Aventurin{e}.
I have installed APF and Fail2ban but if I add any entries into the APF blacklist or whitelist they get overwritten by Fail2ban.

I have added the following entries into the APF glob_deny.rules

# Block SSH Access
tcp:in:d=22:s=0/0

and in glob_allow.rules

#Allow SSH
tcp:in:d=22:s=93.89.130.113
tcp:in:d=22:s=piltraque.jacoma.es

That doesn’t seem to work! :-/

Now out of ideas.

Thoughts welcome. How have others achieved this?

Thanks

Colin