[BlueOnyx:26942] GLIBC Vulnerability on Servers Serving PHP (CVE-2024-2961)

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Apr 22 21:32:23 -05 2024

Hi all,

Last week CVE-2024-2961 was announced. In brief, systems using glibc and
serving php content could potentially be at risk. The vulnerability is
related to the ISO-2022-CN-EXT character set.

Today we were made aware of a 24 year old vulnerability in GLIBC, which
(in conjunction with PHP with ICONV support installed) could potentially
be exploitable.

For more information see https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2024-2961
or watch this video on Youtube: https://youtu.be/kQdRT2odUIk

At the time of the writing of this article no official fix for EL7, EL8
or EL9 has been released, so we worked out a work around that disables
the vulnerable ISO-2022-CN-EXT character set in GLIBC. That should be
good enough until the time an official fix arrives.

Updated "swatch" RPMs that contain this hotfix have been published for
BlueOnyx 5209R, BlueOnyx 5210R and BlueOnyx 5211R.

Code changes in Swatch to implement this:

https://devel.blueonyx.it/trac/changeset?reponame=&new=5254%40%2F&old=5252%40%2F