[BlueOnyx:26785] Re: Trouble setting up new system, read-only file system?

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Feb 29 00:20:12 -05 2024

Hi Torrance,

> After the network settings run I get these messages;
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/fNwqsm9pzAArTMzb6
> <https://photos.app.goo.gl/fNwqsm9pzAArTMzb6>
> mount shows /dev/sda2 is read-only.  It's single disk no LVM install.
> (5211R)

This looks like you have a damaged disk or damaged file system. BlueOnyx
uses the XFS filesystem and like any other filesystem under Linux? When
it realizes that something fishy is going on with the disk integrity,
then it will switch the mount state of the affected partition(s) to
"read-only" to prevent further damage and to retain at least some form
of data recovery.

When this happens on a newly installed system, then it is highly likely
that you have some hardware or *possibly* driver issues. Somewhere
between the kernel and the disk (drivers, disk-controller, cabling or
the disk itself) your server has issues.

At that point I'd recommend to try to swap the disk and see if the issue
goes away. If it doesn't? Then it may be something else (driver or
controller related). But it sure is something that's outside of the
scope of what BlueOnyx address.