[BlueOnyx:26711] Re: Aventurin{e} 6109R: Issues after YUM update - Hotfix available

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Fri Jan 26 07:56:45 -05 2024

Just to tack on here... even if it's slightly OT for the BlueOnyx list.  ;)

On 1/26/24 1:56 AM, Michael Stauber via Blueonyx wrote:

>> On a separate note, have you ever looked at creating an OpenVZ 9
>> based Aventurin{e} to make use of the RHEL9
>> version of the OpenVZ kernel?
>
> The principal problem is that OpenVZ 9 isn't there yet and they're
> running out of turf.

 From my chair, that's par for course with the Virtuozzo / OpenVZ
team.   IIRC, OpenVZ 6 was still in "extended support" well after the
upstream RHEL 6 went EOL, partially due to the time it took to get
OpenVZ 7 out the door.

Without going into the why and wherefore of the reasons for this, I'll
point out that the Virtuozzo 7 EOL is currently slugged as July 2025.
https://docs.virtuozzo.com/virtuozzo_product_lifecycle_policy/index.html

OpenVZ's EOL is currently listed as "TBD". https://wiki.openvz.org/Releases

Based on this, it's fair to assume that from a stability standpoint,
existing OpenVZ 7 (and Aventurin{e} 6109R) platforms should be fine to
continue for a bit.  Obviously, from a feature and kernel support
standpoint, an upgrade would be welcome.

While I crave an updated containerized platform, I wanted to point out
the history to address any "the sky is falling" concerns.  FWIW.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services