[BlueOnyx:26718] Re: Google

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Jan 26 11:06:39 -05 2024

Hi Colin,

> One problem is that we have a lot of customers still on 5209R so will
> need to migrate or come up with another plan as Michael has only
> included the OpenDKM on 5210R and 5211R.

Yeah, EL7 and 5209R will go EOL this summer, so it's not worth it to
integrate new features.

As for DMARC: This is something we don't have integrated into BlueOnyx
yet. Typically it consists of a two part approach:

a.) A daemon that ties into the MTA.
b.) DMARC DNS TXT records.

The thing is: The daemon is sort of optional anyway. It checks your
inbound email to see if incoming emails has DMARC records and matches
published SPF/DKIM records and then takes action.

You can skip that part and just publish valid DMARC DNS TXT records and
get a "good enough" solution.

Example: Even though the BlueOnyx list server has a low enough volume to
stay under Googles 5000 emails limit, I went ahead and published a DMARC
record for it. It already had SPF and OpenDKIM, as it's on a 5210R.

Here is the DMARC records I'm using:

_dmarc.blueonyx.it	v=DMARC1; p=none; rua=mailto:reports at solarspeed.net

That's sort of lowballing it, as "p=none" tells the receiving mailserver
to ignore policy violations.

I did this a few days ago and might eventually set it to "p=quarantine"
once I have sufficient confidence.