[BlueOnyx:27031] Re: postfix & pop-before-smtp

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Jun 10 23:47:27 -05 2024

Hi Tomohiro,

> While working on the admin panel, I found that postfix cannot be
> combined with poprelayd.

That is correct. POP-before-SMTP is an antiquated and obsolete feature
that only works with Sendmail. I'm even considering removing it
altogether and will most likely do so soon. After all: Our default MTA
has been Postfix for quite some time now.

POP-before-SMTP has always been a hack and it was introduced before
proper SMTP-Authentication was supported in Sendmail. But for two
decades SMTP-Auth has been and is a standard feature of MTAs.

Therefore: It's best to forget about POP-before-SMTP. Instead enable
"Enable SMTP Auth" and have users login with their username and password
in order to send email.