[BlueOnyx:26962] Re: Bug report on 5211R

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu May 9 14:03:32 -05 2024

Hi Taco,

> On both adminica and Elmer I get an internal server error when I choose:
>
> Site->Services->Web
>
> Enable Redirect/Proxy, select Redirect Type: Proxy and enter a https link (and click save)
>
> In the 5209R interface I get a warning on the page itself (after saving) that https cannot be proxied on the page itself.
> I think there is something wrong with the error handling.
> The field where you input the URL actually states (when the helper is shown) that you can enter an http:// or https:// link

Nice catch! I just checked and indeed: The error handling of that
extension was bugged.

I updated the code for 5210R and 5211R and YUM updates (base-apache-*)
have been published:

https://devel.blueonyx.it/trac/changeset?reponame=&new=5259%40%2F&old=5257%40%2F

> It would be great if 5211R would actually have support to proxy to an https URL, nginx is capable of it.

Yeah, this is tricky. Nginx may not be running unless "Use Nginx as
SSL-proxy" is enabled. And configuring Apache as HTTPS-proxy is just a
massive pain in the ass that results in an invitation for things to
break hard.

We're in the unfortunate position that the GUI-element for this allows
either redirects (to HTTP or HTTPS) or Proxy. So it takes an URL that
can start with either HTTP or HTTPS. But we can't allow it to use HTTPS
for Proxy, because we don't do that. For redirects however? HTTPS is fine.

Throwing in a form validation script that (at runtime) raises an error
message that HTTPS *and* proxy have been selected is just way too much
overkill and these things tend to compete with the regular form
validation which the field already has to check if a valid URL was entered.

So I reactivated the "after-the-fact" error message that (if someone
tries to save with an HTTPS-URL for Proxy) raises the error message
shown in the image below.

That's not ideal, but at least now the user gets a visible indication
that it failed and why: We don't allow Proxy *and* HTTPS there.