[BlueOnyx:26975] Re: MariaDB question (v10.11 now available)

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sun May 12 23:46:42 -05 2024

Hi all,

A while ago Michael Aronoff asked:
> I am running the stock MariaDB on my 5210R's and I am wondering about
> upgrading.

I had some more feedback on this and there is now a popular online shop
that complains bitterly if it doesn't have a MariaDB of a version more
recent than what even BlueOnyx 5211R ships with.

As a result I have just released the following PKGs to NewLinQ:

5210R-MariaDB-10.11-1.pkg
5211R-MariaDB-10.11-1.pkg

These are part of the "All Packages Bundle", BOPE, BOEE, the stand alone
MySQL/MariaDB product as well as the PHP-MySQL-Bundle.

The updated MariaDB PKG installs the latest MariaDB v10.11.7-1 and will
also keep it updated via YUM/DNF within the v10.11 version tree of MariaDB.

As always: Upgrading MariaDB is something that should be considered with
care. Sure, the MariaDB PKG can be uninstalled via the GUI. But as the
installer will tell you during install:

The *rollback* from an upgraded MariaDB back to the OS provided MariaDB
via PKG uninstall *will* *break* your databases.

After an upgrade to a newer MariaDB version you can't do a simple
rollback via PKG/RPM uninstall. Instead the DBs need to be exported via
SQL-Dump, /var/lib/mysql needs to be cleaned out, MariaDB needs to be
restarted so that it starts fresh. And then the SQL-Dump will need to be
imported. Even that will fail if it contains syntax that doesn't match
due to version differences. Typically this means that the DBs and user
privileges must be imported separately. So it's an elaborate process
left best to SQL experts.

As BlueOnyx 5209R goes EOL in a month and a half I will not provide this
updated MariaDB for it, as it wouldn't be worth the effort.