[BlueOnyx:01611] Re: tmp full!??!

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Jul 8 06:35:02 -05 2009

Hi Paul,

> Nope... Not completely sure what you mean by "topmost line in the mask",
> however if i create with mountpoints of /tmp and /home, it comes back
> with "must have a / partition to install on" :(
>  and of course you cant have any two mountpoints the same...
>
> so if i create tmp with a mountpoint of /tmp, and home with a mountpoint
> of /home, it refuses to create as it needs a "/" partition to install
> on. I havent dont anything other than removing /home and /tmp, and
> attempting to re-create them with different sizes (larger /tmp, smaller
> /home)!!!

I'm not sure what you're doing wrong there, but then again, disk druid isn't
all that straightforward. So yeah, it's not that difficult to get lead astray
there.

I just took a quick and dirty recording of how I'd create a custom layout with
BlueOnyx if I wanted my /tmp to be 2048MB large (you may want to make yours
bigger, though, as 2048MB is the default). You can watch the video clip here:

http://www.blueonyx.it/self-partitioning/

This is just one way to do it. Single disk, /boot on EXT3 with 250MB, 4096MB
Swap space and then an LVM that uses all the remaining disk space and which
contains /, /home, /var and /tmp.

Other layouts are possible as well - with and without LVM. But you have to
keep in mind that you can have only four primary partitions. The LVM helps to
get past that minor obstacle and makes partitions also easier resizeable if
that need should arise.

Now the "default" partitioning layout in BlueOnyx already has all partitions
(except /boot) in a LVM. Hence you *could* shrink your /home and give some
extra space to /tmp. But I'd rather not have you do that, because it's a quite
a bit more demanding and complex than partitioning yourself using the CD.

I hope this helps.