[BlueOnyx:01660] Re: BlueQuartz ssl_perl.conf Problem

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Jul 13 06:29:46 -05 2009

Hi Aaron,

> I have a server running BlueQuartz on CentOS 4.7 and I recently upgraded
> Apache and Perl to versions 2.0.63 and 5.8.8 respectively. Somehow, this
> messed some things up. The Apache::PerlSections module is now gone,
> replaced by Apache2::PerlSections. As a result, whenever I go to a
> https:// web site on the server I run into an infinite loop of redirects.
>
> Is there something that needs to change with ssl_perl.conf to make the
> mod_rewrite calls work using Apache2::PerlSections? Any help would be
> greatly appreciated.

Custom upgrades of Apache on BlueQuartz and BlueOnyx are usually highly
discouraged. On systems as tightly integrated as these platforms Apache is a
really system crictical component. Different versions may exhibit a different
behaviour and may not play nicely together with other system components. Plus:
When you upgrade stuff like that yourself, then you must keep an eye on
updates and vulnerabilities yourself and can no longer use the updates and
patches from upstream.

You'd probably be better off if you cmuExport your data off the BlueQuartz and
migrate it to a BlueOnyx. There you'll get Apache-2.2.3 and Perl-5.8.8 out of
the box.

Now to answer your mod_rewrite question: If you are still using Apache 2.0.X,
then you ought to have the line ...

use Apache::PerlSections();

... in /etc/httpd/conf.d/ssl_perl.conf and your mod_perl should provide
Apache::PerlSections and not Apache2::PerlSections.

So somehow your mod_perl also got upgraded and possibly doesn't match the
version of Apache you're using.You could try to switch your
/etc/httpd/conf.d/ssl_perl.conf to Apache2::PerlSections and see if it works,
but I somehow doubt that.