[BlueOnyx:00711] Re: BlueOnyx 5.2 on VMware Player

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Mar 5 15:01:52 -05 2009

Hi Adam,

> I am attempting to install BlueOnyx 5.2 20090218 onto a VM hosted by
> VMware Player 2.5.1 build-126130 on a Kubuntu 8.10 system. I encounter
> an error in the early Anaconda stages of installation. I believe the
> problem I encounter is the same as that reported in a previous post
> (post #286) however I haven't been able to resolve it yet. I get a
>
> python script error as follows:
> > Traceback (most recent call first):
> > File "/tmp/treedir.29352/instimage/usr/lib/anaconda/fsset.py", line
> > 2463 in setupDevice
> >         raise SystemError, "lvcreate failed for %s" %(self.name,)
> >
> > File "/tmp/treedir.29352/instimage/usr/lib/anaconda/fsset.py", line
> > 1752, in createLovicalVolumes
> >         entry.device.setupDevice(chroot, vgdevice = vg)
> >
> > File "/tmp/treedir.29352/instimage/usr/lib/anaconda/packages.py", line
> > 150, in turnOnFilesystems
> > anaconda.id.fsset.createLogicalVolumes(anaconda.rootPath)
> > File "/usr/lib/anaconda/dispatch.py", line 201, in moveStep
> >         rc = stepFunc(self.anaconda)
> > File "/usr/lib/anaconda/dispatch.py", line 124, in gotoNext
> >         self.moveStep()
> > File "/usr/lib/anaconda/text.py", line 588, in run
> >         anaconda.dispatch.gotoNext()
> > File "/usr/bin/anaconda", line 982, in ?
> >         anaconda.intf.run(anaconda)
> > SystemError: lvcreate failed for home

Yeah, you're running out of disk space there.

The download page http://www.blueonyx.it/index.php?page=downloads actually has
the instructions on it how you can use smaller partitioning - or how you can
partition yourself:

"You will need at least 20 Gigs of HD space if you install with the default
partitioning scheme. To install BlueOnyx with a partitioning scheme of your
own choosing, boot off the CD and instead of pressing "return" at the splash
screen, enter "self" (for self partitioning) or "small" for a 10 Gig layout
and then press return."

So at the bootprompt of the CD just type "self" and hit return". It'll then
use a layout even suitable for 10 Gig "virtual" drives.