[BlueOnyx:02452] Re: Newby Help

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Fri Sep 18 21:47:50 -05 2009

R F wrote:
> It was given to me. I just wanted to run a personal asterix server off
> it. Not really intending to do anything else with it. Never intended to
> use it in a business environment or serve sites other than freepbx. It's
> odd you say there is nothing that will run on a RaQ550 as I see info on
> the web showing other os's. Perhaps they are older os's not capable of
> running asterix. I'm not sure. I'm trying to find a use for it. Since it
> works I figured use it rather than put it in the land fill.

Actually, I didn't say that there was no software that runs on RaQ550.
  But it's pretty limited.

As for home use, it's possible you could get Asterix to run on that
hardware.   But here's the thing: you're not going to have a native
"straight" CentOS install, so you might run into some odd issues. Maybe
it will all go fine, and maybe no.   You'll have a far easier time on
more "typical" hardware, though.  You know, the kind where you just load
in a CD and off you go.

I love the Cobalts.  Truly I do.  Just today I racked up a RaQ, RaQ2,
RaQ3, RaQ4, RaQ-XTR and RaQ550 in our computer museum in the conference
room.   So I could never advocate one as landfill.  :)

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services