[BlueOnyx:02477] Password Protect Directory

Phil Hamer phil at magma-group.co.uk
Wed Sep 23 16:29:21 -05 2009

Hi Guys.

I want to add a php based calendar to our server so we can plan ongoing
maintenance works that we do.

We will hopefully be using a program such as webcalendar or similar and
although the php script does have a level of security, due to the info that
will be available I would like a second line of defence against unauthorised
entry.

I have also had a google around and it seems that creating a .htaccess file
within the directory and the .htpassword file outside of the web directory
should be a good bet to cause Apache to request a log in before allowing
entry to the directory where the php script will sit.

Will it be ok to do this on the BO server using commands such as htpasswd to
add to the .htpasswd file?

Would this be the best way of doing this or should I look along the lines of
another method?

Thanks All.

Phil.