[BlueOnyx:05173] Re: Overriding Indexes in web root

James james at slor.net
Thu Aug 5 11:05:50 -05 2010

After circling back around to this today, I found the cause.  The
welcome.conf file in /etc/httpd/conf.d contains the following:

#
# This configuration file enables the default "Welcome"
# page if there is no default index page present for
# the root URL.  To disable the Welcome page, comment
# out all the lines below.
#
<LocationMatch "^/+$">
    Options -Indexes
    ErrorDocument 403 /error/noindex.html
</LocationMatch>

Not only does this counteract any Index overrides you have made for the root
dir, but it also points the 403 handler to a file that doesn't exist.
Commenting out the LocationMatch took care of my issue.

James