[BlueOnyx:04943] Re: 5106R YUM updates (suPHP)

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Jul 5 12:32:57 -05 2010

Hi,

> This particular script requires some of the
> files in a directory called parsed to be chown to apache or set with
> a chmod 777.  If I do enable suPHP after setting ownership to apache,
> I get a minuid error.  Very nice.  ;-)

If the readme of a script says "chown to apache and set to 777", then they do
that because the script needs to access files (and/or folders) that it creates
during runtime. When suPHP is enabled, you don't have to chown to apache and
don't have to chmod to 777. Instead simply used the GUI to chown the folder to
a siteAdmin and the script(s) will be able to access files and folders it
created. Because those files will be created with the UID of that siteAdmin as
well.

> Perhaps my whole issue is that I am complicating matters by trying to
> do things outside the normal web path which was not accounted for
> initially.

Yes, I think so, too. Your setup there is too extraordinary. You want PHP
files from a subdomain to be able to access other files that belong to a /web
directory of a user? That is not going to work with suPHP enabled. Even with
"regular" PHP support enabled it is not going to work, as the open_basedir
directive prevents it, because it prevents your scripts from accessing files
outside it's designated web-root.

If the subdomain runs out of "/home/sites/www.4islamicschools.org/vhosts/",
then the scripts there are only allowed to access files that reside in one of
the following directories (or subdirectories of those paths):

/home/sites/www.4islamicschools.org/vhosts/
/tmp
/var/lib/php/session/