[BlueOnyx:05747] Re: 550 User unknown when sent to alias

Bryan Parker bparker at sidusgroup.com
Tue Nov 9 18:45:51 -05 2010

On 11/9/2010 5:05 PM, Taco Scargo wrote:
> Bryan,
>
> Please grep for the domainname in the /etc/mail directory, e.g.:
>
> grep mydomainname.com /etc/mail/*
>
> See if you see the domainname in the /etc/mail/local-host-names
> and if you can see a line like:
>
> @mydomainname.com       %1 at www.mydomainname.com
>
> also try executing:
>
> sendmail -v -bv myalias at mydomainname.com
>

> With regards,
>
> Taco Scargo
> taco at scargo.nl
>

> On 9 nov 2010, at 20:42, Bryan Parker wrote:

>>> What does your email log tell you?   Watch /var/log/maillog.
>>>
>>> You might want to give a:
>>> # tail -f /var/log/maillog
>>>
>>> while you send to the alias to watch for the error.  (Ctrl-C will stop
>>> the tail).
>>>
>> It tells me exactly what the bounce says:
>>
>> Nov  9 14:27:48 localhost sendmail[1708]: oA9JRlS5001708:
>> <bryanpparker@**sites.com>... User unknown
>> Nov  9 14:27:48 localhost sendmail[1708]: oA9JRlS5001708:
>> from=<bparker at sidusgroup.com>, size=744, class=0, nrcpts=0, proto=ESMTP,
>> daemon=MTA, relay=mail.alwaysonline.net [66.101.192.90]
>>
>> # grep bryanpparker *
>> virtusertable:bryanpparker at mail.**sites.com    bparker
>> Binary file virtusertable.db matches
>>
>> bparker is an actual user, and bryanpparker is an alias.
>>
>> I'm really at a loss here.
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Bryan Parker
>>
>> AlwaysOnline.net/RaqShaq.com - Technical Support
>> http://support.alwaysonline.net
>> http://support.raqshaq.com
>> Sidus Group, LLC

See if you see the domainname in the /etc/mail/local-host-names
     I do.

and if you can see a line like: @mydomainname.com
%1 at www.mydomainname.com
     I do.

# sendmail -v -bv bryanpparker@**sites.com
bryanpparker@**sites.com... User unknown

:(

The following is a portion of the grep results from "grep **sites.com /etc/mail/*"
/etc/mail/local-host-names:mail.**sites.com
/etc/mail/local-host-names:**sites.com
/etc/mail/virtusertable:@**sites.com	%1 at mail.**sites.com
/etc/mail/virtusertable:bparker at mail.**sites.com	bparker
/etc/mail/virtusertable:bryanpparker at mail.**sites.com	bparker
Binary file /etc/mail/virtusertable.db matches

There's many more results and aliases, but those pertain to the current focus right now.
The site name in the Blue Onyx GUI is literally "mail.**sites.com", just fyi.